Association of Citizens for Summerland

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Amie Harbor's Platform

I will bring a new perspective to Council. I am enthusiastic and creative and I know that Summerland can change in ways that are both prosperous and responsible, unique and exciting. I would like to see a newly elected Council consider new urban planning ideas, as many of the old paradigms for growth can't be relied upon anymore.

Sustainability should be considered seriously and put into actual practice. I am prepared to do that. If I am elected to Council, these are the issues that I will make a priority:
 I will advocate sustainability through the investigation and support of Smart Growth principles.
 I will advocate for the protection of our farmlands through an OCP which recognizes that agriculture is not only our heritage, but is intrinsic to our future.
 I will enhance a vibrant and dynamic downtown through the participation with organizations such as Okanagan Partnerships and the Chamber of Commerce. I would work to improve sidewalks and trails that link our downtown with the rest of the community and encourage local shopping.
 I will strive to protect our environment by stressing that our OCP reflects the importance of Summerland's natural habitats.
 And most importantly, I will always encourage, facilitate and nurture public dialogue on major projects. We need improved communication and early participation to ensure that the best interests of all members of this community are served.
Sustainable community planning is not a sacrifice! Towns and cities planned this way are cleaner, healthier, less expensive and more economically secure. Let’s take the time to explore all the possibilities and make careful, informed decisions. A balance must be reached while considering the carrying capacity of this beautiful valley we call home.

I am ready to explore the possibilities and meet the challenges of shaping Summerland in the years to come. Please elect me, Amie Harbor, to Summerland's Muncipal Council.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home