Association of Citizens for Summerland

Friday, September 09, 2005

"Water Monsters"

Submitted by Caroline:

Sept. 9, 2005

OGOPOGO FOUND DYING IN SUMMERLAND

The famed water monster of the Okanagan may die a slow agonizing death in Summerland. A new more powerful "water monster" is looming and rearing its’ ugly head. The children and teens of Summerland, grades 1–12 will be introduced to and taught to recognized water monsters. Apparently our Water Conservation Officer has contacted the B.C. Teachers Association and a curriculum will be prepared to initiate water issues and awareness. I wonder if the first lesson might include popping open the local newspaper. The new water monster is screaming out loud and clear, let me live here. "I will suck up your pressure liquid gold but I will spit out prosperity into the streets of your cute town. I promise to spawn 650 short term rentals, fast food take out, gift shops, cafes and boutiques. I am a huge water monster and I do have the potential to fracture your town core, but what the heck lets spread the wealth, let’s embrace sprawl.
Another great part of me is I will always look good. Granted I do need a lot more care, not like that fake Virtual Lawn that the Summerland Chamber of Economic Development & Tourism (SCEDT) put in. That lawn required absolutely no water! Me, once green, I get to stay green no matter what the WATER SITUATION may be in your town. Bylaws are already in place, my two other buddies also get to stay green, the law says so, ha-ha." Summerlanders may soon have 3 huge water monsters that are disguised as golf courses! Mr. Anderson of Virtual Lawn has stated that the typical lawn watering is 500 % percent greater than the average daily total household water use for drinking, taking showers, flushing toilets, cooking and cleaning combined. Also the current mayor loves grass. He speaks out loud and clear, rip up the wheatgrass, chew up the sheep fescue, get rid of the natural xeriscape, lets do something or we will look like we are doing nothing. Let us appease the money gods, move forward in a hurry!

Item number 8 on the Works and Utilities Meeting held on Sept.7, 2005, potential litigation; unusual words for a Utilities Meeting?

Page 19 local paper dated Sept. 8 words by our grass loving mayor “first, the vision”... now the stink.

Regards,
Caroline

5 Comments:

  • If this article is representative of the ACS then not only will the membership drive grind to a halt, but members may begin to flee. The person who wrote this article needs to start making some sense. The constant rants are getting old.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:30 p.m.  

  • Now, now anonymous! Just a little "tongue in cheek" analogy on a serious situation. I posted her submission because I thought it was just a little different way of expressing things. No one person's opinion is representative of ACS. We are all just speaking for ourselves here. Sorry if it offends you!
    The fact of the matter is, bylaws ARE in place that will put golf courses in the same important category as orchards if our water situation becomes dire. Their greens will get to stay green while all residents of Summerland have to cease and desist lawn watering. And if you drive around Summerland at all you'll know that hundreds of cedar and birch trees, along with entire lawns were lost in the drought of 2003. I think Caroline is just reiterating how hypocritical the situation has become, spending such time and energy on water conservation measures and trying to set examples through the xeriscape demonstration at the SCEDT office, while considering the addition of such a huge water consumer in our community. This despite the fact that our water situation is not even close to being solved. As for the rant, we all love to rant once in a while, and this is the place to do it, so feel free!

    By Blogger Amie, at 10:36 p.m.  

  • If you think this comment is stupid and over the top, you should see the letters she has sent the Corporation. They are available to the public if you want to read them. It is obvious Caroline has an agenda to get her property developed. Her "keen" interests in Summerland is very self serving. Why not ask her why she has not developed her property.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:50 a.m.  

  • Sept. 10, 2005
    Summitted by Caroline

    64 Acres of NON ALR Lands

    Great Parcel of Land which has been my private park for 18 years. My oldest brother retired in 1989 and moved to B.C. from Saskatchewan. I approached Development Services about taking off approximately 10 acres from the non ALR 64 Acres for my brother, this was denied.

    I was also encouraged by staff in 1992 to have this parcel of land included in the OCP. What is an OCP? Okay, I hire a firm for $3,000 and they do a lay out and it goes to DOS. The 64 non ALR acres is included in the OCP as future residential. The parcel of land has one domestic water connection on Munro and one on Gilman. There is no other water allotted to this parcel and therefore this non ALR parcel of land will not be developed. No sewer is available to it. I have asked for both.
    In June of this year I wrote a letter to DOS stating that I want the 64 acres of non ALR removed from the future residential classification. My reasoning for this is as follows and it is very simple: Infrastructure cost and water allotments. Water is allotted to ALR lands therefore ALR Lands have been used for development in Summerland. Easy access and infrastructure is there and ALR lands get developed. I believe that the Second Draft of the OCP wants to eat approximately 440 acres of ALR lands?

    Good news for me after18 years I may now have the right to take/ “subdivide” an acreage from the mother parcel.

    My interest in “saving farm land” goes back to the early 70’s. The government of the day brought in the Agricultural Land Reserve. I was in my 20’s and I can still remember the great celebration and party we had. Pictures tell the story of that day.

    My brother is now 80 and for the last 16 years has lived in Comox. I am nearing 60 and it is time for me to realize that things are just not as simple as I once believed there were.
    Regards,
    Caroline

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:22 a.m.  

  • Amie,

    Shouldn't we assume that our local golf courses ARE as important as orchards in that they offer similar [if not greater] numbers of full & part-time employment? In addition, significant tourist dollars are spent throughout Summerland during the short golf season. What's so wrong with that?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:54 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home